The Man in the High Castle

the_man_in_the_high_castle_frontcoverThe Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick, 1962

This alternate history novel is the perfect jumping on point for those interested in reading Dick. The many movie adaptations of the man s amphetamine-fueled work cannot speak to the surreal quality of his prose. Dick is also sorely undervalued and a satirist and in this work, where he deconstructs both writing and history, his satirical edge is at its sharpest.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , ,

6 thoughts on “The Man in the High Castle

1. Joachim Boaz says:

” Dick is also sorely undervalued ” WHAT? He is probably in the top three well-known SF! ;)

• Paul David Ondik says:

Not looking at my entry right now, but I’m pretty sure I wrote that he was undervalued as a satirist.

Dick’s stature in the world of Sci-Fi is without question. I was saying he doesn’t get enough credit for how funny he is.

Thanks for your comment though! I would really like to get more discussions going on these posts.

• Joachim Boaz says:

The 50s were a hotbed of satire — PKD included. I think the best of the period was Robert Sheckley. However, due to the fact he wrote predominately short fiction his work isn’t read as much as it should be.

• Paul David Ondik says:

Wow, I had never even heard of him before, he is definitely highly esteemed from what I can see.

Will definitely check him out — thanks for the recommendation.

• Joachim Boaz says:

Yeah, I have reviews for many of his works on my site.

And C. M. Kornbluth, Fritz Leiber (more famous for his fantasy), William Tenn, etc were all great satirists of the 50s as well — these are what you call lesser known satirists ;) Not PKD.

• Paul David Ondik says:

I’ll stop by, thanks for the recommendations.

Feel Free To Comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,148 other followers